Friday, July 11, 2008

The Looks

Surrounded by men's stares,
I wish they'd put their eyes away.

I love women they say,
and rouse the fire worm.

Looking, always looking, their gaze
begs food I don't want to give.

They take anyway.

I saw two men today
with only one eye apiece.

Though only half the eyes
they had twice the stare,

each single eye
a starving mouth.

Lucky you my mother said
but I want to crawl into a burrow,

pull the mud over my head to cool
the fire worm as he licks his terrible lips.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

Surrounded by men's stares,
I wish they'd put their eyes away.

Right from the get go this piece draws you into its palpable sense of impending danger.

Really felt the claustrophobic tone to this Moon.

9:51 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

Thanks. I wanted to try and convey some of the skin-crawling effect of being stared at continuously. Something that's hard to avoid at work sometimes.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home