Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Horses

While babies dream
their milk dreams
and nightshift workers
nose home behind
yellow, stalk headlights
I make my way along the sidewalk
through wet knots of grass
to where they wait.

Twin Bogarts
in canvas trenchcoats,
they lean into each other
close to the fenceline,
nostrils fluttering.

One is not quite black-
dusk, brushed with gold.
The other is fiery chestnut
fringed with amber.

They chaw the carrots I offer
and share with me breath
of sun-toasted meadow
and secrets gleaned from ancestors
on distant plains
as stars wink out in the dawning.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

What a lovely image you give us with this one, its beautiful kid

6:41 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

do you like my Bogarts? lol. I could picture them in my mind, with their winter covers on. I've loved horses all my life.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

Horses are large and always look at me balefully lol.

I do like them, as long as Im not sitting on them attempting to make them move somewhere, they are dead against that *laughs*

2:51 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

mmm, you have to boss them. of course it helps if you know what you're doing. it also helps if you have thigh muscles of iron, lol

not any more, but I used to ..

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home