Friday, December 01, 2006

It's not the ...

It was the Brady family life
I wanted, and that's what I mourn.

I wanted the husband who brought home
flowers gathered from a neighbour's garden

and stuck funny little notes on the fridge
for me to find when I awoke.

I wanted the one who thought I was beautiful
and funny and fascinating,

who couldn't believe he got to talk to me
every night in our rosy nest of sheets.

I wanted the husband who went on picnics
and played frisbee on the beach with our kids.

But you never liked those things much.
You wanted to go and listen to the latest bands,

and someone had to stay home
and look after the babies.

You were building a career as I sat alone
in parent teacher interviews and school plays.

And I understood all that. But I wish
you would have learned to make my toast

the way I liked it, instead of me
learning to like my toast the way you made it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

This is very real.

The story told is as old as time,

It astounds me in this day and age, some males still behave like hunter/gatherers instead of supportive useful partners in the journey of life, children, marriage etc.

2:34 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

it's very sad really Chris. He thought he was doing his best for his family.
It didn't matter how I tried to tell him, he just didn't get it that I was lonely and I wanted him to talk to me and pay attention to me and the kids.
And I have to own that I played a part in it too. I could have tried harder to put things back together.
It was a very confusing time for me. It's only know, looking back, that I see it with any clarity.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home