Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Today Off

I left my lazy bones in bed this morning.
Watched them roil and turn, disintegrate
beneath the covers, to a pool of honey warmth.

Immolate sin and protestant work ethic,
my mother would have beaten such decadent indulgence
with the wooden spoon, had she not broken it
slamming it down on the table in temper.

We dared to snigger, couldn't not, regardless
of repercussions. So long ago now,
that fear instilled remains, a lash inside my mind
to drive me on, a length of pain I measure myself along,
always come up short.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

The lasting effects of our parents and their beliefs/insanities linger long beyond their hold upon us, but you are you, not an echo of them, and you are a wonderful caring lovely person who has raised 3 lovely boys, and married a man you care deeply for, I think you have done very very well indeed.

On another note, have an awesome Christmas and New Year kid, and I will see you in 2012 :)

*Hugs from the Bird*

3:32 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

oo, thank you so much! What lovely things to say :)

I am so happy :)

You have a wonderful holiday to bird! *hugs*

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home