Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Teddy Bear General



He's made for battle.
Years of marching, climbing,
full kit 10k runs, digging in,
and bugging out, have toughened
muscles to teak.

His chest is wide enough
for a field of medals
and his heart commemorates
fields of poppies where previous
generations of soldiers rest.

He’s a marksman rifleman,
when I asked him to show me
some self defence, he looked a bit blank
and said: ‘well ... but
soldiers aren’t trained that way ...’

It took me a while to work out
what he meant -
he can kill in seven different ways.

But he holds me as if I was a Faberge egg,
and he sits every night painting me
a tiny teddy bear army.

His hair reflects the light
like the glint from a helmet,
and I almost see a ripple of silver
as his charger prances alongside his chair.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

Ahh yes, men today, a confused or confusing, depending on where you sit, mix of aggression and aggressive behaviors combined with the gentleness of modern man as he is becoming, with all the inconsistencies that go with it.

Good stuff kid

3:02 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

lol, thanks. This poem is about Dave. He was in the army for 15 years.

He does war gaming and he's painting an army of the little teddy bears in the picture. I don't know what I'll do with them, but they're very cute.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

I didn't actually know they still had war gaming as such, thought computers would have slaughtered the whole war game genre with lan games etc, interesting.

The teddy bears are, as you say, very cute *smile*

3:17 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

You can't see how tiny they are in the picture. They're each about 1cm high. The detail is amazing and Dave's very good at painting them. I'll take a photograph of them and post it when he's finished. Maybe I'll take some photos of his othe rarmies as well. The detail is amazing. Tiny tanks, guns etc. All exact in every detail.

There are quite a lot of war gamers around. Quite a few young kids too. They use Warhammer figures, Star Wars figures, etc.

I couldn't be bothered, but I can see the interest in it. There's a lot of history tied up in the games. Sometimes they re fight historic battles with the exact men and equipment and stuff to see if they can get a different outcome.

There are ancient armies, Celts, Romans, etc. Indian armies that have elephants. The guys know all the background and history for each figure in each army. I can see why it interests them.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home