Sunday, April 05, 2009

conversation with myself

This tree, wild with meat thorns,
once held the glory of god,
ignited for Moses.

See how it retracts
from the cracks of heaven
where light blades down.

See the twigs and branches,
twined in their frenzy of disarray,
a leafless, godless, bouquet.


So thinking about Moses
and the thorn bush,
weren't the Israelites cursed
after they made golden images
and worshiped them instead of God
when they went through the desert
to the land of Canaan?

I think so. Maybe.
Weren't they cursed to wander forever
and never have a land to call their own?

And isn't that what's happened to them?
They've been fighting for as long as I can remember-
cast out of so many places.

But the Jewish people don't accept Christ's coming,
or any of the new testament do they?

I don't think so.
But would you accept something that makes
much of your belief system obsolete?

So, God said that the Jewish people
were proud and stiff-necked didn't he?
But supposedly he made man in his own image.
So maybe he didn't like what he saw of himself
reflected back from mankind?

Do you still believe in God?

I don't think I believe in the sort of God
that looks like an old man with flowing beard etc.
I don't think God has a physical body,
unless he chooses to don one.
In fact, I don't think of God as a persona,
more as a set of qualities,
or as an energy with self awareness?

I feel a bit scared to say I don't believe in God.
Lightning might strike me.

That whole God thing
certainly sparked off a lot of shit
in the world didn't it?
It's like as soon as God chucked out the Israelites
it left the field wide open for a whole lot of other people
to start auditioning for the role of 'God's Chosen People.'

Yep. And how much blood has been spilled
all down the centuries
in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

And the diifference of opinion
over whether they're three or one.
I mean, what difference does it really make?

And now that we've screwed the earth -
now that those four angels have given up holding back
the four corners of the wind
and gone home for tea -
what was it all for now?


NB: I hope this doesn't offend anyone's religious beliefs. It was just a conversation I was having with myself
after I wrote the little poem at the beginning, so I thought I'd write it down and think about it for a while.
I have no religious persuasion. Don't believe in organised religion and have no agenda to peddle. Just thinking out loud.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

And your beliefs are mirrored by large sectors of the community, I believe in something, just, nothing specific I guess.


I enjoyed the whole 3 voice set up in this, I love messing with multiple voices in poems, I am rarely as successful as this, but I do really like trying it out sometimes.

6:02 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

I'll probably manage to enrage every poet on the internet with this. I don't know whether I'm brave enough to post it anywhere. You know what some of the people on message boards are like.

I'm glad you thought it worked ok.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

This piece is not that offensive kid, I have seen much worse, come to think of it, I have written much worse *laughs*

Post it, work it, it is a worthy work and should be seen, do not fear repercussions, they just mean you are making people think, although, some shit storms are best avoided lol

I dont know, I cannot make up my mind today

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home