Thursday, December 07, 2006

Writing a Hillside

You ask what things
inspire me to write –
they’re like leaves of grass:

The woman who waits in her bed,
through her treatment torture
with its symphony of pills,
and prays to the plastic Jesus on her dresser
for her cancer to abate.

All the drunks in bars
crying to be saved -
and how can they be saved
from themselves?

The way I scrimmage
to garner my living,
penny here, dollar there.

The fear of swallowing an apple seed
and having a tree sprout from my belly button.

The berry taste of my lover's mouth.

The white she-wolf who pads beside me.

The moon beneath her hood of night.

Every life stolen by a bullet.

An atomic mushroom blooming
along the horizon.

The secrets of the universe
unfolding on a screen in front of me;

political prophecy on the wall
of a motorway viaduct.

Bono's face, described in 3D
graphic.

Willow fingers rhinestoned with ice
wafted above the steaming July river.

Water dancing with light,

light breathing in darkness.

The need to finger your heart -
yes yours -

to roll your heart over my palm
and between my fingers -
like the blue stem of my pen.

I write so that someone may read this
and recognise me.
I write so that I may learn
to recognise myself.

I write to bind you in narrative threads
and reel you in

and to cut through
the shadows on my sister's face.

I write the flute of wind
through blades of grass
along the hillside sheep tracks
of my homeland.




powered by ODEO

2 Comments:

Blogger CSOC said...

Moon, I Like this Poem very much.

9:17 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

Thank you very much Diego :)

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home