Saturday, July 28, 2007

Cold and Comfort

It's winter here now Mum.
The wind's so cold.

I'm in a wide open place
where I've never been before,

a field, with sparse trees
off in the distance.

I never started a 'hope chest'
when you asked me to.

It seemed too much of an invitation
for bad things to happen,

beginning a collection of linen,
crocheted doilies, and baby gowns

for the home and family
I would one day establish.

I was afraid to jinx my chances.

Today I think I might like
to have a hope chest.

I'd fold into it
the rabbit-fur coat Gran gave me

to take out and throw round my shoulders
like the arms of a friend, or mother,

whenever I feel I might fall.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

The tone of this is different for you, somehow.....not sure, I will have to think about it..
regardless, its very good,I like the two lines next to last very much.

5:23 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

Thanks. It feels different to me too, but I'm not sure why. Simpler maybe? Cleaner? Clever you! Those two lines were the heart of the poem and the inspiration for writing it. I was watching Grey's Anatomy and at the end of the program, Christina has been deserted on her wedding day by Burke. She goes back to their empty apartment and breaks down and Meredith comes up behind her and wraps her arms around her.
It occured to me that it was as though she had thrown a blanket of comfort around her shoulders. I spent the next few hours thinking of a way to work that idea into a poem.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

God we havent even had that episode yet lol.


It sounds like a great image.

Greys gets it so right sometimes, in the delivery of the emotion.

Although, they seem to have all gone totally dysfunctional now , after all that work, they all fall apart, seems a little pointless *grin*

9:38 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

yes it does seem a little pointless. And I'm sure after you'd worked so hard to get that far, there's no way you'd just give up and walk away!

Burke seems to be living up to his name, lol.

9:53 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

oh, I have a rewrite of this. tell me what you think?

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home