Monday, May 07, 2007

Slipping Through

When a star falls
is there enough magic in the sky
to hold it open while we slip through?

Katherine Mansfield looked for heaven
in the French countryside
and in the charcoal sky
along the English coast.

But she was alone
and when she called to her love
he wouldn't come.
And you won't come,

even though there's a star
falling in the sky
and I'm holding open
the entrance to heaven.

I think I must slip through alone.

And you will call for me
along all the stony charcoal shores,
through fields pastiched
with grass and wheat -

I'll leave you my money,
since that was what you cared for most -

but when you call my name,
in all its myriad forms,
only the sunlight will answer

its rays more beautiful and constant
than I have ever been.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

This is one of the most beautiful things I have read for a very long time.

You touched me

4:41 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

Thank you!

What a lovely thing to say.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

You have no idea how gloriously lovely this poem is

It takes hold of the reader and makes them feel the emotion behind it, the lingering pain of it......


You can still stun me,
even after all these years

4:50 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

I hadn't written anything for what seems like weeks, although it's probably only one week. I always get so edgy when I haven't written anything. Then this morning three popped out one after another.

Thank you for liking this. Your good opinion means a lot to me.

5:09 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

oh ps ... do you like the clever way I worked my name into it without actually saying it, lol.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home