Monday, February 26, 2007

Open Casket

They're cutting your chest
open as I write this,
the surgeon's knife drawing lines
as practiced and precise as the strokes
of my pen on paper.

I wonder how they crack the ribs
of a body so sturdy?

Now they're opening the encasement
of the most sacred chamber, never
meant to survive such violation.

Will they read the names of your daughters
scribed on walls of muscle, so much wetter
than they look on charts and diagrams?

Will they hear secrets
gathered during a lifetime
whisper through aorta and mitral,
startled by the advent of light and air?

They'll bind you back together
with their meaty hooks,
more like a butcher sewing a rolled roast
than a mother's careful stichery.

But will your generous heart
forgive such insult?

Perhaps it will wither away in sadness
at being incarcerated again
now that it has basked
in the forbidden joy of light.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

Talk about a surprise ending

Was not prepared for that finish at all.

Excellent write Moon.

I will cross fingers and toes and who knows, maybe my the two distinct halves of my brain if it will help, hoping that he recovers well.

3:22 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

he's sitting up in bed today and VERY grumpy because he's got the hiccups, which I can only imagine must be excruciating.

I guess the irritability is a sign he's improving? He's very impatient to get home.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

Yes, if he has the energy to be grumpy,
he must be getting better lol

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home