Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Opening

The Wendy man had lost his suit. His body was strangely decorated with flags and stickers, and over it all, was a large well worn gabardine coat that his father had worn in his airforce years.
No one recognised him. He stood in the room amidst his old friends whom he had known and played with for years and no one knew him.
No one called a greeting - they just carried on giving him an occasional questioning glance.
Was he so different?
He saw a man in the glass separating the sound tech from the band. His body was large and ungainly. His hair was gone. He looked like a man twice his age. Actually ... he looked like his grandfather.
Dave came up to him.
"Stu ... I didn't recognise you man!"
"Hey everyone, look who it is ..."
Everyone looked at him.
"Stu ... hey man, how are ya? Haven't seen you for ages ..."
Stu looked at his reflection in the mirror again ... the eyes, the eyes were the same
He looked back at Dave 'Hey man, I missed you so much" he said.
Dave looked back at him, then he looked away. He stood for a long time looking the other way. Stu reached out and pulled on his shoulder to turn him round ...
Dave's eyes were full of tears
"What's wrong man? I thought you'd be glad to see me"
"Oh man," said Dave ... he grabbed Stu and hugged him hard. Jeff came over and hugged both of them.
Stu Best ... he had been the best of them – the instigator of their sound, their music – the spark from which they had begun. Stu best, the brightest, best, the favoured son.

Until his appetite for acid boiled his beautiful brain to mush.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

Hey Moon

Long time no see *smile*

Love this piece of reality, you should be writing short stories, you have a really smooth voice for it going by this piece.

The tale tastes real and is very thoughtfully told, a moment captured and given to the reader intimately

lovely stuff

8:15 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

thanks :)
I'm not really sure what I think of this, other than that it needs editing, lol.

How are you anyway?
I've been so crazy busy ... no time for writing, and no time to type up or post what little I do write.

Christchurch is still a mess from the earthquake. Unbelievable how long it's taking for things to be repaired. And I'm still juggling 4 part-time jobs, which creates a lot of disorganisation in my life. Still, I have been very brave and cut back a few hours, so that I am at least only working 5 days a week now instead of 6. Much better! I begin to feel like a human being again.

Another Christmas looms ... don't they come around so fast! I have a couple of weeks off and I'm planning on staying at home and clearing up a few jobs around the house. Might even paint my kitchen cupboards!

I hope things are ok with you over there in the land of Oz. Take care :)

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home