Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sonata

"I know where you got your poetry from,"
she said. Sitting here listening

to some random pianist on utube
play Beethoven's Sonata in C Minor (Pathetique),

I close my eyes, and I'm back beside her -
small child again, nose to edge of keyboard -

watching her fingers fly, flawlessly,
far better than whoever I'm listening to now,

and I know she was right. The thunder flowed
through ivory and wire, through the very bones

of her fingers, and carved their echo in mine.

5 Comments:

Blogger burning moon said...

listen to it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z5d2hg0AGU

it was one of my mum's favourite pieces. this guy plays it exactly as she played it.

It always brings tears to my eyes when I hear one of the pieces she used to play all the time. My childhood runs to the soundtrack of this wonderful music!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

I had no idea your Mum was of a musical bent, I don't think you have ever mentioned it before? If you have, I apologize for not remembering, I will have a listen to the piece before I comment on the poem, which, by the way, is wonderful :)



6:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

It is a beautiful, stirring piece of music Moon, and you paint the picture of how it threads through your past, and present, perfectly

3:51 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

huh? I wrote a reply to this and it disappeared?

Thanks Chris :) Mum was a great pianist. I really wish we'd thought to record her playing while she was alive.
I don't think it ever really occurred to me she might not be around to play one day.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

Well, at least you have the memory of her playing to listen to in your mind *smile*

When memories are all we have of something, its amazing how well they fit the bill I find.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home