Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Doorknockers

I had a knock on the door this morning and when I opened it there were two women standing there.
Oh, did we get you out of bed? One of them said.
Yes I said, in my dressing gown (9.15)
Oh well, we might as well talk to you now, she said,
Ok I says.
She started to talk and I interrupted,
Are you Jehovah’s Witnesses?
Yes, she said smiling.
I’m disfellowshipped says I.
OH! she gasped, putting her hand over her mouth. I’d better write that down, she says,
Practically running away down the path.

It’s funny, I don’t really think of myself as the personification of corruption, here to contaminate the innocent
with my wicked, wordly ways. But there you go.

Funny how every now and then something you haven’t even thought about for ages suddenly jumps up
and smacks you in the face and says ...
Remember me?

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

And its funny how you can feel that sense of hollowness when you are reminded you are excluded, regardless of whether you want to be part of what ever it is or not, well writ mate.

12:46 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

exactly! it's weird to me that even now, so many many years later, I could still have been affected a bit by her response to me.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

It is completely natural to feel that way, it is an integral part of the human condition to want to belong, harking back to tribal connections I guess.

We feel disconnection and rejection in such circumstances very very deeply mate.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home