Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What it is

This morning I found a place,
in the center of my back,
directly behind my navel,
that I never knew was there.

Straight and strong, no
roundness of extra flesh
when I pressed my hand against it.

The discovery made me realise
that all the times in my life
I've felt unloved or unlovable,
I always held this kernel around which
energy flowed and formed.

As a baby, still awash
in the language of stars,
I began to collect knowledge,
to gather experiences of my new world:

my father's hand,
warm, enfolding mine;
my mother's voice;
the seersucker brunchcoats,
my sister's and mine the same,
but in different colours;
the bars of my cot, a first house -

occasional dots of colour. History
building into a life, the same way
any other's does, but unique to me.

I realised, with this new part of myself
found today, that my days
are an accumulation of dots,
and all I can hope to truly know
is myself.

4 Comments:

Blogger burning moon said...

This one please. I just typed it straight into here, so it's rough.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

This is purely my interpretation of it, I have not marked
what I have removed or altered kid just read the revision,
and see if there is anything in it you wish to use, I have
trimmed out the odd modifier


This morning I found a place,
in the center of my back,
I never knew,
was there.

Straight and strong,
no roundness or extra flesh.

When I placed my hand against it,
I suddenly knew.

All the times in my life
I've felt unloved, unlovable,
I was always this kernel of breath
around which energy flowed and formed.

I was born, connected
to the language of stars
to collect knowledge
stored as memory: my father's hand
warm and safe holding mine.
My mother's voice, a seersucker
brunch-coat she made for me,
matching my sister's, the same,
in different colours.
The bars of my cot, a first house,
odd specks of past and colour
building into a life, unique to me.

I realised,
with this new part of me
found today, with all I know,
all I have learned or forgotten,
it will take my whole journey here
just to learn about one person,
myself.

I have altered the last stanza slightly, but I am still not sure it is entirely right, I wonder how the poem would look finishing on the previous strophe, just a thought.

3:49 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

Thank you much. It has taken much tweaking and stretching to get some sort of shape into this one. That's what you get for composing in the shower I suppose, lol.

The last strophe is particuarly troublesome, but slowly improving.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

I must try composing in the shower lol

No worries, hope you can find something in the above to use *smile*

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home