Friday, March 06, 2009

Pan

Her face has seen too much of the day.
Sun has radiated its likeness
out from the corners of her eyes.

She worries about the rays
lapping with parched tongues,
sucking green to brown.

She fears the upswell of oceans
melting polar ice caps
where snow bear carcasses
cling to ice rafts that disintegrate
and drift down warming currents.

Soon desert will curl
over the edges of continents.
Fish will flounder in sand,
rivers and lakes will become legend
muttered by old folk round midnight fires.

Once she wore a sunflower dress,
with silver buds painted around her fingers
and purple vines traced up her arms.

She'd ascend the steps of great Pan's palace
and twirl to his pipe songs beneath leafy canopies.
Seeds would stream from the hem of her skirt
to seed every land mass.

Now great Pan is silent, pipes lost
in the sand that slides on the floor.
His palace ascends, stone upon stone,
wall against wall - ever inwards and upwards
to a great gap in the ozone where deities once dwelt.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

The great Global Warming fear wave threatens to overwhelm us all,funny, depending on the data you read, the temp of the planet hasn't risen at all, but in fact, is cooling, or it is rising at a rapid rate and threatens to kill us all, how can there be such disparity in the data you ask?, so do I.



Me, I'm thinking the media in all its wisdom loves to tell us we are doomed, and they do it every day,keeping that fear in the back of our minds, prodding us when they think we are becoming complacent.

In the end, its warming, it isn't, if man changes his ways because of the perceived threat, its still a good result.

Love the opening lines of this
especially kid

"Her face has seen too much of the day.
Sun has radiated its likeness
out from the corners of her eyes."

awesome stuff

1:54 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

yeah, the global warming thing is bizzarre to say the least. Personally I believe the evidence I see around me. Our seasons have definitely changed.

I read an article the other day by a scientist who used to be a leader amongst those who said that global warming didn't exist, and he now says that it does exist and that it's too late to change anything. He says that by the end of this century the human population will be down to just 6 million.

I dunno though. Nature is amazing and has amazing powers of regeneration. Who knows what we'll see in the future?

But reading that article sort of spawned this poem. Plus a few random images I've seen lately. Thanks for liking :)

2:06 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

oh plus, I meant to say ... I wonder how much of the 'global recession' is media driven too.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

The media is a ravenous beast that consumes all before it, don't get me started, I despise the media, its frenzied feeding on the stories of those unfortunate enough to fall beneath the halogen glare of its gaze

It is to blame for many things my lovely friend

1:54 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

yeah I know just what you mean. I feel the same way. And they deny responsibility for the part they play in people's misfortunes and hide behind that worn and tired phrase, 'the public has a right to know.' Well, no, actually the public doesn't have a right to know everything. Especially when it means exposing a person's privacy. And I don't believe that being a celebrity should mean you give up the right to privacy.

My own personal protest is to boycott all the gossip mags, which pretty much means all magazines nowadays. I refuse to support the culture of gossip.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

I think/hope, that slowly, the ground swell of public opinion will move against the media's behavior, I have seen signs of it, but unfortunately, to really get the message out there, we need the media to come on side and realise what they are doing is wrong.

And that is going to be an up hill battle I would think.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home