Thursday, September 27, 2007

Made to Order

I love you
and I am incapable of love.
I love all mankind
and I feel nothing.

Sometimes I want to gather
all the starving children in the world
and take them home for dinner.

Sometimes i want to swipe
the sight of their misery off my TV screen
block it from my life.

Perfect love seems improbable to me.
Other people's love bores me.
Happy ever after seems like
it's invented for people with no courage,
or no imagination,
or both.
I yearn for happy ever after.

I'm sick of being P.C.
I want to be judgemental.

I want to force my opinions
down the throats of all the people
I pass at the mall
swearing at their kids,
or wives.

I want to say to them,
'we can be better than this,'
but I'm not sure it's true.

I want to say,
'demand better from yourself
every day
than you did the day before,'

but I'm not sure it's possible
for them.

I watched Oprah today
like I do every day
like a prayer.

Today's show titled,
have you let yourself go?
said I should ask the question
who am I?
but if I don't know,
if I can't find the answer,
then maybe it's true
that I never really existed.

If I died tomorrow,
would anyone even remember I was here?

Maybe that's why I write my poems?
Like graffitiing a wall:
John was here, September 28, 2007.


I want you to agree with me,
but constant compliance irks me.
I want you to come up with your own ideas and opinions,
but agreement is so pleasant.

I want my food cooked just the way I like it
and served to me with flawless ease.
I want my holiday tailormade
especially for me
but I disapprove
of pampered Western society's obsessive
and fawning
indulgence of every whim
of every individual.

It's so character forming
to have to go without,
or to eat a meal that is not what you ordered
once in a while.

Maybe the guy whose meal you got
ordered something new
that you never heard of before.
It might become your new favourite dish.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

You do good 'rant' kid


Maybe drop " I want to be judgemental as hell.", that stanza should only be the two lines.


I want
I want
I like it *grin*

Love the bit about western indulgence , how utterly true and pathetic it is.

3:01 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

lol, ya.

I wrote this at like, midnight last night, and it seemed like a good idea at the time ...


lol, reading it today ... ! dear oh dear

But yeah, Western indulgence. And how self important we are with our goddamn 'I' all the time.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

I love it when I rant, you can feel the pressure release from it, it is good expressing such feelings, especially when you can do it as well as you have done here, this rocks!

3:25 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

Thanks. It's actually terribly difficult for me to control it and stick to one train of thought.

Even here you can see where I nearly got distracted or sidetracked a few times.

I wonder whether everyone has as much trouble with that as I do, or if I have a bit of A.D.D. Do you have trouble staying on one train of thought?

I think I did fairly well here for me. But sometimes I'm all over the place.
You can imagine what it's like in my head ... !

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home