Monday, February 28, 2011

Earthquakes

after an earthquake there's a horrible swimmy feeling where the ground sort of floats and rocks like a boat under you. I really hate that feeling. If you're standing up when it happens you often don't realise there's been an earthquake, you just think you're feeling a bit dizzy for a moment.
It's very hard to sleep because every time you doze off there's another aftershock. I'm very tired, and quite scared.
People are leaving Christchurch, but where would I go? I can't even think how I would begin somewhere else. I'm 52 now. Hard to upstakes and go somewhere else at 52. But I sometimes get the feeling this isn't going to stop. That it will continue until there is not a stone left standing upon a stone and we are all shaken to bits.
My house is probably not worth anything now either. How could I sell it? Who would buy it? My house is all I have to show for my lifetime of work.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andromeda said...

I'm relieved that you're OK.I was really worried when I heard the news of the earthquake and checked out if you were posting - its been quite a while since I was here. I always imagined an earthquake must be like an unsettling swell at sea and seem to remember that you had a bit of unease about the sea as well. Anyway, keep hanging in there, the worst must be over and worry is just a tendency to confuse the past with the future. Neither your spirit nor your muse was ever tethered to anything as mundane as a house anyway. Best wishes. A

3:36 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

Thanks A

10:46 PM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

I'm hoping your house is not too structurally damaged Moon, and damaged things can be rebuilt.

I will hope the earth stops being angry and goes back to sleep for you

Thinking of you as always

8:29 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

thanks Chris. :) There doesn't seem to be any further structural damage to the house. And the damage from the original earthquake was minimal.

This time, however, there has been a lot of damage to contents. Many ornaments etc broken. Still, as you say, these are replaceable, so all in all, we got off quite lightly.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home