Friday, August 13, 2010

Bedfellows

I stir in the night
and wake freezing,
even under a mass
of covers.

The bear has crawled,
despite the glass needles
that thread his spine,
down the hall
to sit all night
in a chair because
he can't lie down.

NZWell has refused to pay
for his operation
as they claim it is a
'recurring injury'
even though they paid
the first time it happened.

So now he must wait,
another month at least
of dragging along with
broken glass piercing his back,
while NZWell, ACC, and the surgeon
slug it out as to who will pay.

And if none of them will -
fifteen thousand dollars
that neither of us has
is what it will cost.

I snuggle deeper,
not wanting to get out of my bed
and face the cold day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Never said...

I am really sorry he is in so much pain, I am well acquainted with back pain, but what he is suffering sounds very bad

4:48 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

It is really bad. He had back surgery 5 years ago and that usually solves his problem, but it's happened again. The disc has slipped out from between the vertebrae and needs to be trimmed off or something. Sounds horrible!

The surgeon says if it doesn't work this time they'll have to fuse his spine.

2:31 AM  
Blogger Chris Never said...

I have heard mixed results from such surgery, sometimes its the best thing, sometimes, not so good, its a gamble I guess, but the chance at a pain free life is a chance worth going for I suspect, I wish him well what ever happens Moon

11:07 PM  
Blogger burning moon said...

thanks bunny. I hope for the best for him, but I feel very anxious about it. so far it's been one long runaround of misadventure with bureacracy

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home